Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Most Important News Show

"Watching Brinkally and Huntally, describing contrapuntally ..."
From "So Long, Mom" by Tom Lehrer (social satirist extraordinaire)

When I was a little girl, I liked to spend quality time with my dad by watching the evening news with him. Since my father was about 10 feet tall back then, it's no wonder I look so happy in this picture. Watching the news with dad ... sitting on top of the world.

Now that I'm a so-called grownup myself, I watch only one news program. Actually it's a pretend news program: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. I love Jon, but that's for another post. I love the The Daily Show because it looks at everyone with the same critical eye (although most would describe it as being part of the vast left-wing media conspiracy ... wonder if that makes its Emmy and Peabody awards worthless.). Wikipedia has a great entry -- ready it here.

So what's the point? My 12-year-old son watches the The Daily Show with me, laughs at the jokes he gets and asks me about the stories he doesn't get. Where I quietly sat with my dad, happy just to be with him, Say-This Boy #1 sits with me, laughs with me, and even discusses domestic and international issues with me. And, just like I was happy to be spending time with my dad all those years ago, my son is happy to be spending time with me.



No comments:

Post a Comment