Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Tutorial: Make the Best Food. Ever.

I admit that I'd heard of this food while reading the posts in the Completely Pointless and Arbitrary group over at Ravelry. It sounded intriguing, but it wasn't until our jaded boys, Skimbleshanks and Buddha Boy, became bored with our usual dessert fare (ice cream, brownie, or cookies) that I actually made them.

I love them.

I mean, I love this food with the white-hot heat of ... a freshly made cakewaffle.

Come with me, and I'll introduce you to the mysteries of the cakewaffle.

Cakewaffle: A Tutorial

You see here the basic ingredients for a cakewaffle: cake mix (banana, in this instance), whatever ingredients you need to add to the mix, and the all-important waffle iron. (From Costco. Best store ever ... well, except for Goodwill.)

Mix up the cake mix following the directions on the box. Do this in a bowl, preferably one big enough to hold everything. The bowl you see here may be a bit on the small size, but I had to stick to my guns and my bowl when SpecialEd questioned my bowl-selection capabilities.

Once the waffle iron is up to temperature, use a ladle, a big spoon, or just pour that cake mix right on there. I used a ladle because I doubted my ability to handle that bowl of batter and the camera.

Don't be shy, but don't get too excited. Here we see examples of "just right" before the top of the iron is closed.

And this is an example of what will happen if you become "just a tad too excited."

Now wait. See the steam curl out from between the waffle plates. Observe how the top half of the waffle iron slowly rises, showing just a peek of the cakey delight it's hiding inside.

When the iron says it's done -- and not before, or your cakewaffle might be ripped in half, poor thing -- open up. Gaze in wonder and hunger at the beauty that is a newly made cakewaffle. Don't fret if your batter didn't fill in the entire grid. Your cakewaffle won't be around long enough for it to make a bit of difference.

Now for the piece de resistance: the frosting. With my banana cakewaffle I've chosen a cream cheese frosting. The spreading goes much more smoothly (pun intended) if the icing is at room temperature. Note that you don't need to fill each hole with frosting. You can, of course, but you don't have to.

Take a look. A warm, freshly iced banana cakewaffle with cream cheese frosting slowly melting and trickling over the nooks and crannies. Take a bite ... savor. Lean against the kitchen counter if you have to ... and you just may have to.

For those of you who'd like to know just how many waffle cakes you'll be able to put away at one sitting, er, standing, the mix I used produced an even dozen.

And, as if you need any justification for making these delectable morsels for yourself and whoever it is that you happen to love, these babies are just like having a modest slice of cake. Well, if you eat just one, that is.

Please do yourself a favor and whip up some cakewaffles right now. The crew over at the Completely Pointless and Arbitrary group insists on it. Bon apetit!

2 comments:

  1. wow! Another great recipe! I want to come eat at your house...this is another I'll save for an at home morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Nice visuals and entertaining content.

    ReplyDelete