Monday, November 15, 2010

The halfway mark

I've just finished my 15th day of NaNo, and I'm only at 22,767. That's not bad, but it means that I'm going to have to get my skates on if I want to win this year. Yeah, I know -- it's not all about winning. Uh ... wait ... yes, it is all about winning.

So I've killed some characters, I've introduced some menace and mystery. I've even thrown in some romance. What to do, what to do ...

I guess what I need to do now is break out the climactic (or is that "climatic" -- har har) scene. I don't know who's going to save whom, but I sure know who's going to die. And, knowing me, the death will probably be gruesome. The worse, the better, as far as my word count goes.

Overall, I have to say that the whole NaNo experience is worth it. Putting the pressure on yourself to apply your butt to the chair and just write, day after day, is great for strengthening that discipline muscle. And who doesn't need a bit more discipline? Or a bit more muscle, for that matter?

2 comments:

  1. Do we get to read it? Where does it go?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh ... um ... well, since you're interested, then I'll say that, yes, you'll get to read it. Right now, it's a series of 15 sort-of-connected scenes. The goal (50,000 words) is about 40,000 words short of an average novel, so it'll be kind of "novelish" by Dec. 1. As for where it goes, if you mean plot line, it's about the goings on at a spice mill and involves intrigue, scandal, murder, and maybe romance (I can read it, but I'm not sure how good I am with the hearts and flowers). Oh, and one of the main characters spins silk, so I need to learn a bit about that so that I don't sound like a dunderhead when I write about it. :o)

    ReplyDelete