Thursday, November 18, 2010

NaNo statistics

Here's how things look on Day 18 of NaNoWriMo. I'm making steady progress, true, but I'm still lagging behind in terms of per-day word count.

For reasons that are valid but won't be enumerated here, I've been NaNoing in the late [relatively] evenings, when my brain isn't usually firing on all cylinders. Somehow I need to do my "thang" earlier in the day or, as a second-best solution, earlier in the evening. I suppose I could always tape The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, but I like the idea of watching them at 7 p.m. (a repeat of the previous day's shows). Oh, well.

I'm thinking that this weekend I'll first do a broad-brush outline of the climactic scene, then grit my teeth and grind out maybe 3,000 words at one shot. That would be a serious shot in the arm, statistics-wise.

Anyway, I've included a capture of my NaNo statistics page. It's actually  pretty neat. Love the graph. The numbers under the Total heading, specifically those for "at this rate you will finish on" and "words per day to finish on time" are the ones I pay attention to. Today my rate dropped from finishing on December 3 to finishing on December 4 -- one day too many, as far as I'm concerned (for some reason, I've always liked "3" -- weird). My goal from here on out is to reach 2,000/day (aside from the previously mentioned 3,000).

Onward and upward!

(Interesting note ... Today I was fascinated when a great big whack of humor showed up all on its own. I'd been sticking to fairly grim and gloomy, but maybe my so-called muse is telling me to lighten up and have some fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment