Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cornered Animals … and Enraged Knitters … Will Bite

The host of one of my favorite sites, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka The Yarn Harlot) devoted part of today's post to respond to an individual who was sending her anonymous email criticizing Stephanie for lousy spelling (e.g., colour, favourite, and cheque).

Guess the mystery know-it-all missed that the Harlot is based in Canada. Yes, there is a country to the north of the U.S. and, no, it’s not “U.S. lite.”

Anyway, I was happy to read Stephanie’s response as she stepped up and defended herself from what she described as rude and abusive comments. I particularly enjoyed this bit:

Now, as much as I would like very much to be able to, what was it? Oh yes ... "Take my head out of my ass and get a clue", I just can't, since ... my decorous and rectifying reader, you are just plain wrong.
I’ve always believed in giving people a “the graceful out.” This is where you’re pretty sure you’re in the right but you're not 100% sure and you don't want to be a total jerk about it. The mystery emailer did the opposite: he or she said, “you’re wrong – period.” Tsk. Might as well say, “put up your dukes.”

Fun fact: If cornered, any animal will fight. The fight might be immediate or it may be delayed; however, there will be payback … and I hear that it’s a bitch. (By the way, in only 8 hours, Stephanie has received 581 comments on her post, all of which supported her calling the mystery know-it-all on the carpet. Yep, even a gentle, learned knitter can bite. And people who needlessly criticize can also bite … just in a different way.)

Elyse, a Harlot reader and supporter used the following perfect quote from Shakespeare to describe our mystery person:

"...but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most
assur'd,..."

No comments:

Post a Comment