Monday, December 1, 2008

Just Call Him Joe

Hard to believe that little Delaware's Joe Biden will become the next vice president of the U.S.

I saw Joe Biden on his way to work (well, I was on my way to work, so maybe he was, too) this morning. I was driving north on 141, and traffic was pretty backed up. When I saw that no traffic was traveling south, I figured that an accident must be somewhere ahead.

Just then, two cops on motorcycles, lights flashing, came speeding south. They were followed by a big, dark SUV with tinted rear windows. Two people in dark suits were in the front seats. The SUV was followed by four -- count 'em -- police cars, also with their lights flashing. I can't remember if any sirens were blaring, but I suppose that it's a possibility.

In dinky Delaware, this is the kind of thing that happens. We are such a small state, that it's almost ordinary to run into your representative or senator at the coffee shop, the grocery store, or any of 100 other mundane places.

I remember eating breakfast in a tiny restaurant in Wilmington with my mother several years ago. For some reason, we started talking about the state quarters.

"I think that this is, bar none, the best thing Mike Castle has ever done in his years of service," I said.

"Really?" my mother replied. "Well, why don't you tell him. He's sitting at a table back there."

I turned around, and sure enough, there he was. That's Delaware.

If someone were to ask me one thing that makes Delaware special, I think I would say that you may think it's a small world, but you have no idea just how small it is until you live in Delaware. Here, the Six Degrees of Separation theory would have to be adjusted down to just three degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment